Monday 1 February 2016

My 2015 makes (part 1)


I decided to update more frequently to document all my projects.  I'm aiming for at least one post a month.

To start off, here is a summary of most of the things I made last year - mostly dresses for Helena, this year Edward will be getting more shorts and trousers. I also made a quilt for the first time ever - did everything myself, piecing the top and the actual quilting. The pattern is called Shortcake Quilt by Cluck Cluck Sew. It took weeks to finish,  and on 31 December 2015 I sewed the last bit of binding. Not sure if I will tackle such a large quilt again, it was hard to do the quilting. I started doing straight line stitching,  but found out later that it is so much faster to do free motion quilting. 


There are a few patterns that I keep going back to, as they work so well and the finished item is almost always the way I imagined it.  


Superhelden Skater Dress

The Little Girls' Skater Dress   by Amanda  of Kitschy Coo - one of my favourite patterns, quick and easy, guaranteed smile from the recipient. I made 5 skater dresses within a day of 2, and plan to make loads more. I used knit fabric I bought locally and also some treasured Lillestof Superhelden I bought months earlier. 








Another keeper is the  Geranium Dress by Rae Hoekstra - I made quite a few of those. This is something I do often - find a pattern that works and then make 6 or 7 in a row. Suppose this is acceptable, since the fabric and colour combinations are never the same.




Chambray and printed viscose





Top left - Octopus fabric from Jo-Ann Stores,  bottom left - Cherries and gingham quilting cotton , right - some shirting fabric I've had since the nineties (!)

In between I made a few t-shirts, shorts and trousers - this is a pair of Morocco Tuxedo Pants  with welt pockets and french seams - a lot of effort but worth the time. I must sew more boys clothes in 2016! 


Cotton twill Morocco Tuxedo Pants

Looking forward to lots of sewing in 2016 - I am super excited about Kids' Clothes Week, which is happening from 22 - 28 February 2016.

Thanks for dropping in!

No comments:

Post a Comment