Wednesday 6 April 2016

Shweshwe Star Student Backpack

Returning to work, my son starting Grade 1, daughter starting nursery, all of this made it very hard to find any time to sew this year.  


H on the run, loving her new backpack



I did however, have a  fun Saturday morning making the  Star Student Backpack - another superb pattern by Amy Hindman from Peek-a-Boo Pattern shop . I've bough many peek-a-boo patterns already, and have at least ten more waiting in my wishlist. I love the patterns -  clothes looks great when finished, fits, and have not had a minute of trouble using it.  A bonus is that a pattern is sold at 50% discount every Thursday, or a new pattern is released and offered at a discounted price. With the current Rand / $ exchange rate, this sure helps.




Pattern & supplies ready
I chose blue and yellow, as I wanted the bag to bright and sunny. I used some Da Gama Shweshwe I have had for at least 6 years, so the bag didn't cost much to make. The pattern calls for 1/2 yard quilt batting or thin foam for back and strap padding - Pellon Flex Foam  will be perfect for stabilizing the back, and the next bag I make I will definitely be using Fles Foam.


I added mustard piping to the bag 




Will be making more of these soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment